Thursday, March 3, 2011

Gardening by the Seat of My Pants Part 2

Here are some tasks that you need to take care of before the new flowers and grasses start awakening and growing.

I hope that last fall/winter you allowed the leaves that cluttered your flower beds to remain there until now.  The leaves provide a natural layer of protection.  Also, decomposing leaves provide a nutrient that cannot be mimicked in the chemical retail world of fertilizers. It's time to clean out those flower beds. 

I know, I don't like to go out in the cold either.  However, it seems as though God thought of that aspect because it won't be quite so miserable out there when you are raking, shoveling and the like.  I recommend removing all the leaves but the thin bottom layer.  This layer has already started decomposing and your flowers are loving it - so don't take it away.  Unless you have a growing ground cover that will soon come to life, I would recommend turning the soil with a shovel.  The consists of taking your shovel, going parallel with the dirt and gather about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of dirt and flipping it over back where you got it from. Be mindful of the plants that are there but are small or may not have started growing yet.  Just do this in the spots around your plants.  This will not only hide that thin layer of mulch, but will essentially re-plant any seeds that may have fallen from your annuals.

This is also the opportune time to prune rose bushes that you may have.  Now, if you're a rose expert, then I'd skip this paragraph OR gently correct me below. Remember I'm not an expert.  I'm just giving live and learn advice. It is very important to buy rose food that will help your roses ward of diseases  and feed them as well.  I have also read that roses love banana peels.  So, twice a year (early spring and mid summer) I chop up banana peels and place them in the soil around my roses.  They aren't spitting them back at me, so I'll assume they love them. 

If you have pampas grass, it too can be divided if you want to have more of it but are on a budget.  Just break it up with a shovel and plant where you want.  This is the time to cut the dead stalks down before the new green starts coming.  I've seen people burn them, but that freaks me out.  So, I use my hedge clippers - the electric ones work the best.  Just be careful not to have too much fun and clip right through your extension cord.  I almost did that once.  Shhh.  Don't tell Ted.  I blame it on being a left hander in a right hand man's world!  Or uncoordination.  Go ahead, have fun - post all the possible reasons of why I would almost do something that stupid!

And last but not least, I suggest turning your compost pile.  What?!  You don't have a compost pile?  Oh, you don't know what a compost pile is. . .my turn to laugh.  I am not a die hard composter and I (again) don't know a lot about it.  Surprised?!  Don't be.  Basically that's where all your dead leaves, grasses and garbage goes.  No, not your trash - your garbage.  That is your vegetable peels, egg shells and the like.  Now, don't throw out your uneaten food or unidentifiable objects from the fridge - that won't make for healthy soil, only a gathering spot for critters in your backyard.  One that has a compost pile either buys a fancy gadget or creates a cage like area to put it in.  I'd suggest going to your local hardware store and purchasing some chicken wire or hog panels and simulate a tomato cage.  My mother digs a hole.  But, for those of you who may live in town with no fence - that may pose a liability issue should someone fall into the hole and break an ankle.  Anyhow, you add as often as you have stuff to add, turn it with a shovel once in a while and then after a couple of years take the bottom layer and put it in with your gardens.  It can smell bad, so be mindful of neighbors and don't put it too close your back door either.  I'd suggest going to http://www.bulkherstore.com/ and purchasing the book "Let It Rot" by Stu Campbell.  Or, better yet - click on our Amazon.com link and see if Amazon has it for cheap!

Now, I'm going to spill the beans on how I compost.  Before I tell you, I want you to know that it drives my mom C-R-A-Z-Y!  So, I wish I could see you all's faces when you read this!  I have a back deck with flowers and bushes planted on each side of the stairs.  All winter long I take my potato, carrot, cucumber, banana, orange and any other kind of peel and throw it onto my flower beds.  That's right, I just dump them right on the ground.  I even throw fruits or veggies that have gone bad out there.  It's kinda gross, I know.  But!  It's cold outside and I don't want to go all the way behind the garage where the compost pile is (like 30 feet).  I also empty out pickle juice and things that don't attract cats, coons, or skunks.  My excuse is that because it is cold, you can't smell the stuff so it's OK.  My reasoning is this, it dries out quickly and blends in well with the leaves.  Also, I have the prettiest flower beds right by my deck.  And, there's another reason for turning the soil in the spring - so when we are outside on the deck we see lovely flowers and lovely, rich black soil. 

The moral of the story is this, it doesn't matter how you compose, but do it.  The soil needs the nutrients back.  It will save $$ on fertilizers and such.  And we won't be filling up our trash bags with smelly rinds and peels.  Let the worms do the work, not the sanitation workers! 

Well, I'm out of "by my seat" advice.  Until next time, many blessings your way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment