Saturday, February 19, 2011

Spring Street Sweets

This Valentine's Day I hung out my shingle and declared myself open for business.  It really wasn't willingly, but from the prodding of a dear friend and coworker.  I didn't hardly advertise, except on facebook for fear of being overwhelmed and still I received five orders of chocolate covered strawberries and cherries.  It was very fun and not nearly as stressful as I feared. 

Several years ago, I took cake decorating classes and have done cakes off and on.  However, cake decorating stresses me out to a whole different level and the worst of "Martha" comes out.  I do enjoy it for myself and family and I have never had a total failure/flop.  But with that being my biggest fear - I decided long ago the stress really isn't worth it.

But, this candy making and goody baking thing is really my cup of tea!  After all, if a strawberry is ugly I can either attempt to remove the ugly design or just eat it!  This week I am making brownies for a  company and their open house event.  I'm not sure why I think that this is less stressful than cakes but it could be the time involved with cake decorating - if you mess it up, you are looking at many more hours to fix it. 

The cake decorating class was well worth the investment though.  I have not hired a cake done and have done various Christmas parties and even did birthday cakes for Martina McBride's dad.  For those of you who do not know who Martina McBride is, shame on you!  Google her right now.  Seriously.  For those of you that do know her - well, my husband dated her and took her to prom.  Oh, but that's totally off subject. 

I would encourage those of you out there to take a cake decorating class, if anything you will learn some techniques, have a great time and make some yummy cake assignments your family gets to eat.  Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment