Thursday, February 3, 2011

Reduce - Reuse - Recycle . . . It works!

   So, I've felt a little guilty over the years since we have moved to town that I didn't recycle.  I know, it's sad and disgraceful.  But, in my mind it was just one more thing to do.  I tend to shut down and self sabotage when I 'm on overload. 
   Several months ago, I started recycling.  Not on purpose (being honest), but because I had started 'dumpster diving' with a friend for coupons.  Seriously.  After about the third or fourth time, I realized I could participate in this civic duty of recycling and it would give me a more legitimate excuse to be there.  It also gave my daughter something to do while I was digging through the papers.  She went around and located the proper bin to put all our once trash, now recyclables in. 
   Now, I am in awe that my recycle pile is larger than my actual trash pile is each week.  We don't have a trash compactor, but still our family generates about 1 bag each week that the wonderful sanitation workers pick up. 
   Speaking of our sanitation workers, I think they are just great.  It's such an unpleasant job in my opinion but they are there, every day without fail.  Every week the carry away my trash and I feel literally feel joy as they drive away leaving my dumpster empty.  I guess it's because they help carry away the gunk I don't know what to do with.  Our guys here in town are super friendly, always waving and polite.  It helps that we live in a small town.  They have even gotten my dumpster a time or two when I've forgotten to take it to the curb.  Now, that's service!
   On to reusing, I have never been a fan of this.  We were extremely poor growing up so mom washed and reused everything - even disposable products if possible.  So, as an adult I have rejected this idea, until lately.  I haven't taken it to the extreme that my mother had, but I do reuse the same Ziploc bag for my home made sliced bread and things like that.  I also use the same Ziploc bag for crushing cracker crumbs until there are holes in it - I just store it in the cabinet under the cracker box.  If I'm out of Ziploc bags, I'll transfer cereal to a Tupperware container and use the bag from the cereal to crush the crumbs in.
   Anyhow, this short little blog is basically meant to encourage you to recycle as well.  My recycle pile is simple - I use a laundry basket and if it exceeds the basket (which it often does) then I use an empty storage tote.  My daughter collapses all the boxes and such to use as little space in the basket as possible.  This gives her ownership of the recycling pile and she distributes it all without fail and loves doing it.  Who'd have thought that recycling could bring a child such joy!?  But I'd be kidding myself if I didn't admit that I like it also.  It lightens the load of my beloved sanitation workers, lightens the load of the landfill and lightens the load on my conscience!  Keep it simple, but go ahead and try it if you're not already doing it!  I hear the trash truck now! Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment