Monday, January 31, 2011

Season of Life

   Mary is busy dealing with a sick baby and I seem to have total writer's block!  Go figure.  Usually I have plenty to say and certainly plenty of opinions to offer but the inkwell has run dry.
   Becoming a published author is something that I have always wanted to be.  It's kind of crazy but  I have known since I was about 8.  However, I know that now is not the time in my life where I can do that.  I am busy researching curriculum and the like - who has time for researching the Dark Ages...
   I often marvel at the fact that I am now middle aged and teenagers see me as old.  But, I enjoy each season of life that I am given.  I can honestly say I don't lament about the years gone by too much but look forward to each day. 
   There is a season for everything, unfortunately in today's society we are taught that we need to do it all, RIGHT NOW!  How sad.  A young mother of toddlers and babies should focus on that.  Churches should not make them feel guilty for not volunteering in the nursery.  Schools desparate for volunteers should not ask them to help with fundraisers.  Civic organizations should find someone else.  But, what do you do when they expect it of you.  Living in a small town has that effect.  Everyone knows who they can count on and who they dare not ask. 
   As a young mother with pre teen stepsons, I felt pulled in many directions and am very thankful that the other moms completely respected my inability to volunteer at the time.  However, as my daughter grew and my stepsons entered high school, I knew it time to make up for lost time. 
   Be careful to evaluate what you are saying yes to.  Is it the right season for it?  A very wise friend once told me that every time you say yes to someone on the phone, you are in fact, saying no to your family.  Think about that - each time you volunteer - if your whole family isn't involved then you may be spending a meal away from them and at the very least time away from them.  So when you volunteer, do your best to involve your family so that memories can be made together.  If they are too young to help, then it probably isn't your 'season' yet.  Blessings!

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity  under heaven; a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace.  - Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

No comments:

Post a Comment