Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Simple Things

The technologies of today are meant to make our days run smoother and more efficiently.  However, some of these advantages can also make us feel inadequate as we feel we must "do it all".  As Martha, I can easily get swept up in the details that I don't even notice the roses blooming, much less taking the time to smell their beautiful fragrance. 

Balance of having fun and completing tasks is difficult to accomplish.  Ideally, it would be bliss to have the house in order, an amazing supper on the table and all the laundry completed as my daughter reads aloud Scripture in the twilight of the day.  Reality check.  This may happen for  fortunate women out there and for some it may seem as though it is completely unattainable.  But, as a Martha, I strive for it!  Just one more chore before I sit for the evening...that is what I always tell myself. 

As I spend a day with my partner-in-blog, I observe some things that I need to not only implement, but change for my own personal well-being.  Here is a glimpse into a few hours with Mary:

I arrive at Mary's and as I enter the home - that's just what it is.  The 4 boys are getting along well and gladly welcome my daughter to join in their activities.  The house, though not spotless was in order.  The baby - soon to be toddler - is hungry so she sits him in his  high chair and we proceed to feed him Nabisco Wheat Thins.  Since he is just a "bobby" a good portion of his crackers end up on the floor, so as Mary is taking care of household business, I chat and continue to shovel the guy more crackers. 

The kids are in the family room have a grand time with the Nintendo Wii.  Since they are boys, their selection of games vary from the general interests of my daughter, but she is having a blast. 

Mary then asks her oldest why he didn't sweep the floor like she asked him to.  This is where Mary's personality shows through, because her son comments, "I couldn't figure out the broom."  The said broom is not just any ol' broom, oh no, Mary had to change it.  See, she couldn't figure out where to store the broom and it also be handy to use at any given time.  So, at a recent trip to WalMart, she purchased a retractable paint stick.  This way, she can attach it to her broom head and store it under her sink. 

It really is a brilliant idea, I guess she just needs to show the kiddos how to operate it.  Me, on the other hand, does not even have a broom in my house.  It is much more efficient in my opinion to have the hose attachment hooked up on my Kirby vacuum cleaner to clean up - quickly and with no nasty gunk sitting in a dust pan that needs to be disposed of.  But, there are those die-hard broom lovers out there. My mother is one and just has the hardest time believing I don't have a broom for the inside (I am pretty sure she thinks I hide it when she comes to drive her crazy). 

The few points I wanted to make as I gave you a glimpse into Mary's life is she keeps it simple.  Yes, she was busy while I was there but her plan was simple.  Her life, at that point, was simple.  She wasn't overdoing or neglecting what was required of her.  Her youngest was hungry, she made sure it was a healthy snack - her children were playing a video game, but it was one that required activity - and though her son couldn't figure out the broom, at least she was organized about it! 

See, in the Bible and the story of Mary and Martha, it reads:

" Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, " you are worried and upset about many things, but only one things is needed.  Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."  Luke 10:41-42

Keep it simple, enjoy the simple things and keep your goals simple.  God wants us to be the best we can be, but not overdone, exhausted, try to do-it-all women.  Mary kept in her sights what was most important.  Even the Marthas of the world should slow down and enjoy what God is offering, not just trying to get through to the next event, project or chore.  Even if keeping it simple in your life means a ringing cell phone, email alerts and fussy babies - stay focused and remember to return to the Lord's feet - just as Mary did.

No comments:

Post a Comment