Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I made crackers!!

Recently, we have implemented a strict grocery budget.  It is one that I am sure we can eat well off of, but I have 10 days and $14 left before I can start over again.  That's not a big deal, because with coupons I can save tremendous amounts. 

However, with that said, my husband wants chili for supper.  No problem there except for his beloved crackers.  I have never seen a man so 'in love' with crackers and we're out.  Hmmm.  Should I take part of my budget and purchase crackers that I have no coupon for.  No.  So, with the wonderful internet at my fingertips I google saltine crackers.  Here is the recipe I used:

Simple Crackers
  • 2 Cups flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2/3 Cup warm water
  • 1/3 cup olive oil

  1. Preheat the oven to 400.
  2. Lightly grease two large cookie sheets. Combine the dry ingredients, and then stir in the water, oil and mix until a smooth dough forms.
  3. Divide the dough in half and flatten each half on a cookie sheet. Use a small rolling pin or even your fingers for a rustic, uneven look. Once the dough is spread thin, use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter to cut the dough into squares. The elasticity in the dough will make the crackers shrink slightly and pull away from each other; this makes them easy to bake without sticking together.
  4. Brush lightly with an egg wash (one egg white and 2 tablespoons of water) or spray lightly with olive oil.
  5. Sprinkle with the topping of your choice. Experiment with your favorite flavors, or try one of these variations: Chopped rosemary and sea salt, sesame seeds, poppyseeds and onion salt, Parmesan cheese
  6. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the crackers are golden and crispy.
I had also recently purchased Land O Lakes butter flavoring (with a coupon, no doubt) and added probably a 1/2 tsp to this recipe as well.  On instruction number 4, I sprayed the top with non-stick spray and sprinkled with sea salt (very sparingly).  I have never been one to follow directions to the letter, but I may have to make another batch before supper since these are SO yummy!  I would also like to add that I started this cracker quest at 1:45 and by 2:13 I had found my camera and taken a picture of the completed project.  And, believe me, I spent about 5 minutes just looking for the darn camera! 

As strange as it seems, little conqests like this excite me immensely! I mean, who thinks of doing these things and then who but me actually follows through!  I know, I know there are many of you out there just like me and I am thankful - it makes me feel a little more sane to know you are out there when I am here, surrounded by a world of Marys.  Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. . . . and her humility is to be marveled as well ;-) Just kidding you know I love you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete